Friends, with wedding season upon us we wanted to share with you some of the knowledge we have gained from photographing weddings, being bridesmaids and a bride on getting ready! So we have created a list of the top things we believe you can do to make this time a fun and special time for you and your bridesmaids!
- Hang that Dress Up! Ladies, we recommend doing this step the night before! The reason… your dress needs time to breathe. This will allow some time for some of those more stubborn wrinkles to fall out! Besides, no one wants to spend the wedding day steaming a dress! Also, if you were gifted or ordered one of those gorgeous wooden hangers with your new last name on it, now would be the time to use it!
- Room to Move and Natural Light! The room you get ready in should have plenty of space for you, your girls and we can’t forget the photographer to move around in! Having lots of natural light streaming through your room will give your photographer lots of dreamy light to work with while you get ready! As photographers we LOVE this!
- Keep it Tidy! Speaking of the Bridal Suite, the room that you are getting ready in needs to be kept tidy! Make sure trash cans are available and there are places for you and your girls to put your purses and bags. No one wants to trip over bags all day! Plus, they can create eyesores in pictures.
- Keep the Numbers Low! Okay, friends, this may sound a little harsh but during this time it should only be you and your girls and of course, your mom! We know everyone loves to see the bride when she is ready but honestly there is plenty of time for that later. It can be overwhelming and become chaotic when multiple people are popping in and out of the room wanting to have a chat. Also, it makes it rather difficult to get photos done and taken when you have to stop to chat. So, keep the numbers in the room to a minimum and enjoy this time with your girls!!
- Music, Music, Music! We love us some music! Music can do a lot to help set the mood of the day. We recommend playing some fun wedding day songs while everyone is eating breakfast or as they arrive. We suggest… Going to the Chapel by The Crystals, You’re the One that I Want from Grease and This Will Be (An Everlasting Love) by Natalie Cole. Then, during those moments before the ceremony, we suggest something more soothing and calming such as instrumental music or songs that are a bit slower like A Thousand Years by Christina Perri, Truly Madly Deeply by Savage Garden or I Do (Cherish You) by 98 Degrees.(We love our boy bands!)
- Water and Snacks! The wedding day usually starts early for you and your girls and that means a long time before a meal! Make sure and have a snack table ready for you and your girls. We recommend the following: Chex Mix, grapes, apple slices, chicken nuggets, bagels, sandwiches, and bottled drinks. Speaking of bottle drinks… make sure that included in your bottled drinks is lots of H2O! It is super important that the bride stays hydrated! Wedding dresses tend to be a little heavy and between the weight of your dress, the heat of the day and the nerves, you are going to need to stay hydrated, friend!
- Relax, kick your feet up! This will be one of the few times you get to sit and relax on your wedding day, so we say sit away!! Sit back and watch your girls get dolled up for your big day!
- Have schedule and stick to it! Creating a schedule for your wedding day is crucial… and so is the schedule for getting ready. Work with your hairdresser, makeup artist and photographer to coordinate times. When doing this, we recommend giving yourself some extra time to get ready. Also, if you are providing hair and makeup for your girls, be sure and assign them a specific time and/or order; first, second etc., just like an appointment at a beauty shop! If hair and makeup won’t be provided then give your bridal party a specific time to be at the venue with instructions to be completely ready by a specific time, and that time should be well before the pictures start!
- Have an Emergency Kit! This should be in every bride’s wedding day bag… plus it is a good idea for the maid of honor to have one, too! (Or make kits for each of your bridesmaids and include it with their bridesmaid gift!) We recommend the following: band aids, deodorant, a stain remover pen, nail file, mints, bobby pins, safety pins, a sewing kit and a pain reliever of your choice.
- Don’t worry! Don’t stress! We know this one is WAY easier said than done, but the fact of the matter is, regardless of what happens at the end of the day you will be married and that is what is most important on this day! So if things get a little off schedule, it will be okay! As photographers, we have learned to roll with the unexpected and so have your other wedding vendors. As for the groom, he is usually hanging out with his guys watching sports on the TV, playing video games or hanging out just like you, so don’t worry!
We hope these tips will help you out as you plan your wedding day! If you have additional tips, feel free to share with us!
If you’re looking for photographers to capture your wedding day memories, we invite you to contact us at Capture Thirteen Photography! You can check out our current projects by liking us on Facebook or following us on Instagram @capturethirteenphotography.