It’s happened; the moment you’ve dreamed about since you were a little girl. You’ve found your prince charming and now you are headed toward your happily ever after. You are engaged and nothing could be more exciting! You find your photographer, line up your engagement pictures, and the excitement is still brewing. And then it comes… the stress of planning… planning the outfits, the hair, the shoes… yes, even the shoes. It seems silly but it happens — the worry and stress we all put on ourselves to look perfect in front of the camera.
But what if we told you it doesn’t have to be so worrisome. That would be great, right?! Well, we have compiled a list of our top 6 tips and best advice to help you take some of that worry and stress away and have the best engagement session ever!
1. Let Pictures Be Your Plan ~ Clear your schedule and let pictures be your plan for the day. Sounds simple enough, right? Scheduling your session on the same day as the big game or when you have tickets to your favorite show is probably not the best idea. Having time constraints is stressful and on the day of your session you shouldn’t be worried about getting to your next destination. Plus, rushing around stresses everyone and yes, that stress will show in your pictures and if your fiancé is disgruntled because he is missing the big game, that will show too. Your engagement is such a brief season in life, so let the engagement session day be a day to slow down and enjoy this special time in life.
2. Share Your Ideas ~ We love when our couples share their ideas for their sessions with us. We usually meet with our couples over coffee when booking, which gives us a chance to talk with them and get to know them a little before any cameras are brought out. This is a great time through which we get to discuss their engagement session with them. It is also a great time for our couples to share their likes and dislikes with us. Whether you are meeting with your photographer prior to the session or not, be sure to communicate with them. Let them know your likes and dislikes, tell them about some of your favorite places or things you like to do as a couple. If you have a place or a prop you’d like to incorporate into your session, this is a great time to let your photographer know!
3. Be Yourself ~ When planning your engagement session and wardrobe, be sure to stick to who you are. If big hair, flowy dresses and heels aren’t your thing don’t try and pull it off in your pictures. There is nothing wrong with jeans, a t-shirt and a pair of Converse Chuck Taylors. And there is nothing wrong with big hair, a flowy dress and heels. If you’re a country girl and guy, don’t plan a session in the heart of a big city. Try going for field or old barn. Whatever your style, stick to who you are. I think Dr. Seuss said it best: “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”
4. Try It Out ~ So you’ve got it all planned out. You’ve discussed locations and photo shoot ideas with your photographer and now you just have to finalize those outfits. Coordinating outfits is no easy task — trust us, we have struggled with it too. And if you are visual people like us, sometimes you just have to see it all together, so be sure to finalize your outfits prior to the day of the session. Lay the outfits out side by side or better yet, try them on and stand in front of a mirror together. This way you can see how the outfits look next to each other. Then if you feel something just isn’t right, you have plenty of time to make those changes. If you’re still in doubt, bring both options with you to the session. Your photographer will be happy to help you decide.
5. Get It Together ~ The week of your engagement session is finally here! Make things a little easier on you the day of your session by having it all laid out and ironed the day before. If you have wardrobe changes, have the outfits on hangers ready to go. Gather any props or other items you might be including in your session and have them all in one place. Just think how much smoother your day will go if you know where everything is the day of your session.
6. Bring Your Personality! ~ When you come to your session, come ready to laugh, smile and have a good time! This is a happy time in life and it should show! We love when our couples come to their session ready to laugh and chat. Remember this is a time for us to get to know you better and for you to get to know us better before your wedding day! Don’t be afraid to laugh out loud or burst into a spontaneous dance!
Do you have further questions about planning your engagement session? If so we would love to talk with you some more! Contact us at Capture Thirteen Photography for more information and to learn about our North Georgia wedding and engagement photography services.